I love this grain-free version of one of my favorite entrees! I turns out so good, I almost prefer the squash 'noodles' to rice noodles, and this is a lightened up version of Pad Thai so I feel allowed to eat a BIG bowl ;)
Chopped green onions (about half a bunch, or 3-4 individual bulbs)
Chopped fresh cilantro (one bunch is plenty)
3/4 shredded or julienned carrots
1/2 cup red bell pepper cut into strips
1 T crushed garlic
2 whole eggs (leave out if vegan)
1 1/1 cup bean sprouts, divided
2 T peanut, sesame, or coconut oil
3 T sweet chili sauce
1 T tamarind paste, dissolved in a little warm water
3 T gf soy sauce or tamari
Sriracha or another hot chili sauce or paste
1/2 cup roasted salted peanuts, chopped/crushed
* Optional additions: prepared chicken, shrimp, and/or tofu, most any other veggies you like. I added red cabbage.
- Preheat to 350°F. Using a large, sharp knife, cut the spaghetti squash in half (lengthwise). Scrape out the seeds and guts using a spoon, and sprinkle the cut sides with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the squash cut side down, uncovered on a deep baking sheet or big pan that has just a few tablespoons of water on the bottom and roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife, about 35-40 minutes.
- When the squash is done, use a fork to scrape out the flesh of each half into "noodles" (just scrap the width, the 'noodles' will come out easily). Place the noodles in a colander or paper towels to remove the extra moisture.
- Prepare the vegetables for cooking and put in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, beat together two eggs. Separately, thinly slice 1 green onion and chop about ½ cup of fresh cilantro.
- In another small bowl, mix together the sauce: mix 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, juice of ½ lime, and a few squirts of Sriracha or chili paste or sauce.
- In a wok or large skillet, heat 2 T oil over medium heat. Add the garlic and scallions and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the eggs and scramble until almost cooked.
- Add the red pepper, carrots, 1 cup bean sprouts, and squash noodles. (and any of the extra optional proteins (cooked) and veggies.
- Add the sauce and stir to combine. Cook about 2 minutes, until the vegetables are heated through but still crisp.
- Garnish with crushed peanuts, fresh bean sprouts, chopped cilantro, green onion, and fresh lime juice.