The trick is to marinate the meat for at least an hour and grill at high temperature (500-550 F works best) for just a few minutes on each side. You can also pan fry, use a panini press or grill plate, bake or broil. Just don't overcook or these will be tough (like you get at a lot of restaurants where the protein is stuck to the skewers!).
Leftovers can be de-skewered, cut up into pieces, and used in any other dish in which these flavors would taste good (peanut noodles or stir fries in particular).
1 lb total chicken tenders, or chicken breast cut into strips, 1" cubed extra firm, drained and desaturated tofu
1/2 cup coconut milk
2 Tbsp peanut butter, very soft (so it mixes easily with the coconut milk)
1/2 tsp Thai curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
2 cloves garlic, crushed (about 2 tsp)
pinch dried cilantro
2 tsp GF tamari or soy sauce
Wooden skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes or more
1. Combine coconut milk, peanut butter, curry, garlic, and soy sauce in large dish or container. Add chicken and tofu toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 45 minutes and up to overnight.
2. Preheat grill, broiler, or fry pan. Thread chicken strips and tofu cubes (about 1-2 tenders scrunched up a bit and 4-5 cubes tofu) onto soaked bamboo skewers.
3. Grill for 2-3 minutes per side or until done. Cooking time will vary depending on thickness of chicken. Mine took about 4 mins each side to get a grill mark.
4. Serve with Thai Peanut Sauce (recipe below).
Thai Peanut Sauce
3/4 cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp water
1.5 Tbsp peanut butter
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp curry powder
Squeeze of Sriracha if you like a little kick
1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
2. Remove from heat and cool before serving. Sauce will thicken as it cools.
Serves 4 ~ Serve with marinated vegetables, like my cucumber salad
Calories from Fat 123.75
Total Fat 14g
Saturated Fat 4gMonounsaturated Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Cholesterol 19mgSodium 231mg
Total Carbohydrate 5g
Dietary Fiber 1g
Sugars 1gProtein 37g